Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

The Interview

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Genetics View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genetics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Interview
    Posted: 21 Feb 2009 at 12:53pm
fjrigjwwe9r0tblThread:Message
Hey Everyone!

I'm making a change in my career path to go back to work with patients. I recently got an interview at Nova and am trying to figure out what I should know.

What is the usual dress attire? I was thinking suit but I can be more casual.

What questions are usually asked? Should I have a well versed knowledge in a specific subject?

If you don't get interviewed is that good or bad?

jal18 View Drop Down

Quote jal18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2009 at 4:10pm
wear a suit. There questions were more based off of your application or your answer to your first question. You dont need a "well versed knowledge in a specific subject" If you don't get an interview they you are most likely not going to get in, They only interview people they are interested in having in the class
Genetics View Drop Down

Quote Genetics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 1:27am
Then why have people come down and interview? I was thinking it was the other way around. Without an interview you are golden. With an interview you need to sell yourself.

Edit: Would I be competitive if I have a few scientific pubs, a Masters in Bio, and a GRE of 1290?

Edited by Genetics - 22 Feb 2009 at 1:32am
MEFerrante View Drop Down

Quote MEFerrante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 2:42pm
Genetics-
  Don't get me wrong...but if you don't know the answers to those questions you are asking, then you need to do a little more homework.  This isn't just some job-its a real career-and a conscious decision by those who go into the field to make it their career.  Its not a back-up plan for med school rejects...its a career for those who are truly interested in the ACT model and want to be mid-level anesthesia providers.  I would hope that you would NOT apply to dental school/medical school/a PhD program without knowing everything there is to know about the program(s) you're getting yourself into.  If so, then I'm sorry, but you should probably pick another field.....or tell me where you will be working so I make sure that you don't administer my/my family's anesthesia.

Im not meaning to be harsh, but the reality is that if you really dont know the answers to these questions, then you obviously havent spent enough time with an AA/CRNA/MDA.  Make sure you know you are competetive, PRIOR to applying.  I assume that since you've gotten an interview, you are.  PS..Its not about selling yourself.  Its about seeing if YOU fit-in with the program objectives/goals.  Its about if YOU like the university you are going to be spending the next 27 months of your life at.  Its about if the faculty like YOU and YOU like them-enough to (again) spend 27 months with. Catch my drift???
Genetics View Drop Down

Quote Genetics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by MEFerrante

Genetics-
  Don't get me wrong...but if you don't know the answers to those questions you are asking, then you need to do a little more homework.  This isn't just some job-its a real career-and a conscious decision by those who go into the field to make it their career.  Its not a back-up plan for med school rejects...its a career for those who are truly interested in the ACT model and want to be mid-level anesthesia providers.  I would hope that you would NOT apply to dental school/medical school/a PhD program without knowing everything there is to know about the program(s) you're getting yourself into.  If so, then I'm sorry, but you should probably pick another field.....or tell me where you will be working so I make sure that you don't administer my/my family's anesthesia.

Im not meaning to be harsh, but the reality is that if you really dont know the answers to these questions, then you obviously havent spent enough time with an AA/CRNA/MDA.  Make sure you know you are competetive, PRIOR to applying.  I assume that since you've gotten an interview, you are.  PS..Its not about selling yourself.  Its about seeing if YOU fit-in with the program objectives/goals.  Its about if YOU like the university you are going to be spending the next 27 months of your life at.  Its about if the faculty like YOU and YOU like them-enough to (again) spend 27 months with. Catch my drift???

Yes, you're correct. I do know more than I am leading on. My random questions are usually me hammering out the finite details. In previous interviews I've had I think I come off as a rather amiable person. But as this is quite a change from working in research, which is very different. I would like to make sure I have a good understanding of the process before I walk into the interview.

The reason I was caught up on whether to wear a suit is b/c my friend who ended up at Case told me that he interviewed in khakis and a dress shirt. Which I thought was odd.

My other question, which isn't posted on this thread, was how do the schools compare? There is no real formal study or ranking system that I've found. I was told by Case that they were the best school but Emory had stated the same thing. Since there isn't a clear delineation I worry that going to another school may impact my job prospects and/or skills upon completion. And I would very much like to be the best AA possible.
MEFerrante View Drop Down

Quote MEFerrante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 10:39pm
Well as you might have seen under the Case Western postings in this site, http://members.boardhost.com/Anesthesia/index.html is a good source for others' opinions.  It has their take on interviews, the different schools, etc...  Ive heard that Emory does not teach regional.  I think that (for me) to be the best possible AA, I need to learn regional-although not a difficult concept-clinical practice in school would be the best place to learn-in my opinion....rather than out in the field.  I know that Case has been around the longest....but as far as "the best" school is concerned, the best school is the one you go to.  You know that from all your previous schooling.  You only get as much out of it as you put into it.

Ex...
  We have this Anesthesiologist who works in our group who is Brilliant!  He is borderline genius.  He first did an IM residency, prior to anesthesia.  He said that while in Denver (where he did his IM residency) there was a (Trauma-I, transplant, etc..) hospital where he did his at.  Across town, there was another (not so glamorous-mediocre) hospital that the DO and Caribbean residents did their residency training at.  Keep in mind this MDA went to UCSF (#5 or 6 nationally).  He said that when the residents from the two schools would get together....the DO/Caribbean residents would blow the (prestigious) docs out of the water-in terms of medical based knowledge.  He said it was because they didn't see all the trauma and transplant stuff, so they studied and read everything they could about it...

The concept is the same.  if you go to Case, it will be a great school and you'll get a great education...but so will UMKC, NOVA, South and Emory.  Its really about how YOU fit in with the program and how you think you'll fair/thrive in that environment.  You can study and be the smartest AA to ever come out of school, but its conceptually what you learn in clinical that makes you "the best" at what you do.

From talking with other people, it sounds like Emory is kind of screwy-different campuses for different classes.  But you just have to judge that for yourself when you visit them.  Nova I guess just had someone (admissions) quit-so (from what I heard from other applicants) things are a little crazy there right now...and I haven't heard anything but positives from South.  But like I said-the best school is the one you go to-because its what you make out of it.  I dont know of any "ranking" of the different schools though...like I said its just about the curriculum that fits you best.  Besides, doesnt every school think that they are the best?  Why would you be an admissions director or faculty at a school/program that you didnt think was best?  It baffles me!  Speaking of ad. directors....I forgot to say that I know Emory's old director went to South to start that program...and that is a reason it is thriving right now. For Job prospects-I have never heard of an AA comming out of school without a job-or atleast a number of offers.  I dont know this for sure, but Im willing to bet that depending (geographically) where you do your training at, is where you'll have the most offers-but there are numerous states and more comming into the liscensing process every year.  Im sure that If there is a particular place you want to be, and an amount of money you want to make- it can be done.
 Hope this helps...good luck on your interviews.
Genetics View Drop Down

Quote Genetics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 7:02pm
Thank you for the detailed post MEFerrante. You've given me quite a bit to think over! Hopefully, my interview will go well this week.

Thanks everyone that posted!
OutCold7 View Drop Down

Quote OutCold7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 2:13am
hmm how many interview dates does nova have left for this month?
Indy1275 View Drop Down

Quote Indy1275 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 3:21pm
There are approx. 3 interviews setions left in the month of march. Each interview group will most likely consist of 20-30 students, so these groups are rather large. This informtaion that I have obtained is comming from an inside source. So if you haven't recieved an interview invite do not stress out, still plenty more groups remaining.
OutCold7 View Drop Down

Quote OutCold7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 3:53pm
Geez that many left and with so many applicants in each session?!  Seems like a bunch were already accepted for NOVA... so I'm guessing If you haven't gotten in yet, it will probably be hard to? (if that's true, of course)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>