Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Salary increase worth the change?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Klebsiella View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Klebsiella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salary increase worth the change?
    Posted: 07 Feb 2009 at 4:45pm
fjrigjwwe9r0tblThread:Message
I'm currently a CLS and have been seriously considering going back to school to become an AA in the coming years.  I've seen salary figures ranging from the 60s to six digits and I'm wondering where the actual average lies.  If it's truly in the 60s range then it would not at all be worth it to rack up student debt for such a small salary increase in my case.  Thoughts?
blugas View Drop Down

Quote blugas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 4:55pm

Salaries for AA's are definately in the six figure range.  If you are serious about making a change to an AA and it is a profession that you would enjoy, then go for it.  Lower salary ranges that you may have seen are probably out of date.  Take a look at anesthesiologistAssistant.com (I suggest this site but you have to be a member to access the jobs available) and you will see that not one of the jobs being offered has a salary below $110,000.  I personally have not seen any recent full time AA positions with salaries below $100,00/yr.  So, adequate compensation is there to pay back your student loan debt should you decide to become an AA.  Hope this helps.

www.AnesthesiologistAssistant.com

www.AnesthesiaAssistant.com

Edited by admin - 25 Jul 2009 at 11:50pm
AA dude View Drop Down

Quote AA dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2009 at 2:00am
You will definitely not be making 60k.  Try 120k+ (not including sign-on bonus).  If you accept a job for less than this then it is because you are choosing a certain location you like - not because higher paying jobs aren't available.

Edited by AA dude - 01 Jun 2009 at 2:02am
jtb View Drop Down

Quote jtb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 8:42pm
Regarding AA salaries in the future, what is the general thought among AAs and in AA schools about the impact of impending healthcare changes on AAs?  Are AAs particularly susceptible to salary cuts given their relatively small numbers and therefore relatively small politcal leverage?  Thanks for your thoughts.  This is an important issue for those of us considering a future career as an AA.
AA dude View Drop Down

Quote AA dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 8:37pm
This is a complicated question to answer.  I think many health care professionals are aware of the potential for a decrease in earnings when new health care legislation is passed.  The political leverage of the AA profession really has nothing to do with this though.  Our salaries are determined by a number of factors and congress doesn't act in a way so as to specifically change the salary of just the AA profession itself.

The earnings of doctors can be directly derived from the decisions of the government.  The situation is a bit more tricky with other providers however.  Notice how the salaries for CRNAs and AAs have skyrocketed in recent years while at the same time the anesthesiologists' salaries have barely been increased.

There are many factors that come into play such as the number of people going into these professions, the demand for anesthesia care, the amount that government health insurance is willing to pay for anesthesia services, the amount that private insurance will pay, the ratio of government insured vs privately insured patients at your facility, the ratio of insured to uninsured patients at your facility, the amount the hospital subsidizes the salaries of the anesthesia group members, and finally the ratio of anesthesiologists to middle level providers in your particular group.

So like I said it is complicated, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a decrease in the salaries of nearly all health care professionals in the coming years.  It probably won't be a sudden crash though, more of a long slow decrease.  That is just my opinion though.
 Post Reply Post Reply