Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Should've done CRNA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CMW View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should've done CRNA
    Posted: 24 Jan 2009 at 8:07am
fjrigjwwe9r0tblThread:Message
No it is not like that for all AA’s or for the majority of AA’s. However, everyone deals with conflict and turmoil differently. A lot of places you will not find any conflict but others you will. Even at the places that have some CRNA conflict it depends on how people deal with it. I mean what one person might take personally others seem to realize that one (or more) person treating them bad does not mean they all are. I have seen many hospitals where AA’s are treated great by both CRNAs and MDAs. Furthermore, the description above of an AA is some what true. In no way do I feel they treat AA’s like slaves but they do the majority of the hands on work (without any supervision). This for me is the best attribute of the field (obviously, others feel differently). Unlike PAs, who for the most part (not all), work along side of MDs we have the rare ability to work “autonomously.” You will never see a PA in the OR doing a triple AAA without a MD but you look over the drape and there is only an AA behind it. This is what makes us more like anesthetists than assistants. You will find differences in every individual’s perspective and this is why shadowing an AA (more than 8 hours and different AAs) can help you decide if it’s the right career.
taipan View Drop Down

Quote taipan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 8:05pm
Do u know if AAs pay malpractise insurance?
many thanks
taipan
blugas View Drop Down

Quote blugas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 10:24pm
I believe in most situations the hospital or private practice that employs the AA will pay for the insurance.  If anyone else knows otherwise, please tell.
Scott_PA-C View Drop Down

Quote Scott_PA-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 9:44pm
I was reading your post and found it interesting that you believe that PA's do NOT work autonomous.  In the OR I believe you are correct in that for the most part you are there with the MD. However once stepping out of the OR is a different world. I am a PA and work in Pain Management and often will also work in Internal Medicine. Most of this time is spent on my own where I have the ability to contact the MD if needed. That is pretty much the rule with us, we need to have access to the MD/DO by phone, fax, etc.  My supervising MD is often in the office but unless I need his assistance I rarely have to bother him and we have an understanding which there is mutual respect and trust.
It sounds like you are in a very bad situation. Have you worked other places besides the current employer? I have ran into similar situations in the past and once leaving those clinics/hospitals found the independence and respect to be much different.  I am thinking of getting the AA-C Certfication also and am checking out this site to see what people have to say about working as an AA.  What are your thoughts about the profession in itself? Not just based on your experience at the current hospital in Texas?  Thanks. Any information/insight is appreciated.
taipan View Drop Down

Quote taipan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 9:46pm

Does anyone know if South puts everyone on hold after the interview ? or do they acctually reject some applicants? besides accepting them right away of course?
I just want to know how many people are there on hold -everybody who intervied or like 5? and what are the chances of being accepted from the "on hold" situation

Thank you very much, if somebody know please

many thanks
taipan
 Post Reply Post Reply