Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

GRE vs GPA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
keregg228 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote keregg228 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GRE vs GPA
    Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 9:36am
fjrigjwwe9r0tblThread:Message
south does teach regional anesthesia and emory and nova dont formally do so (thats a plus of south). yes it is easier to get into.  u can get into emory/nova/south easy with those scores. just apply anywhere u want to go I dont think ull have any problems getting in except may at case (i woul stil apply thre). good luck
BS Human Biology and Physiology
RRT student
MPH student
DO and AA-C applicant leaning towards AA-c
lseland View Drop Down

Quote lseland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2008 at 12:16am
I realize that part of what I'm looking for is some kind of yes or no on getting into a program, but I'll still ask for opinions.

I finished up my bachelors in engineering a few years ago with a GPA of only around 3.1. I managed a 1280 on my GRE score (500 verbal, 780 math) and went on to get my MPH in Epidemiology from Emory, and finished with a GPA of about 3.65.

I've been working in health care research and consulting since that time, and I've been looking into going into something with more actual hands on patient work. While I was looking into PA programs, a physician recommended I look into AA programs. It seems like a great combination of my interest in health care and systems/analytical work.

At any rate, I was just wondering what folks thought my chances might be of even getting an interview, and how hard it is to make it into a program after getting an interview? I just worry that my less than excellent grades will make it impossible for me to make it into any other program.

Also, what other programs would you recommend applying to? Everyone seems to reference Southern as a kind of safety school, so I am unsure of what to think about it.
CMW View Drop Down

Quote CMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 12:55pm
I believe they look at the complete package with a lot of emphasis on the letters of recommendation and personal essay. As for the averages...do remember that they are averages. Being below by a small margin means you are still easily in the range of what is looked at for getting an interview.
Mayura View Drop Down

Quote Mayura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 8:17am
I have the same exact question, but I have taken the MCAT rather the GRE. I got 24 on the MCAT and have 3.9 GPA. Any feedback on this would be great please!! Smile
cougarkid View Drop Down

Quote cougarkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2008 at 12:13am
I am currently a senior biology major and I am applying to the AA program at Emory. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea how much weight the GRE is given over GPA? I got an 1100 on my GRE which is lower than their average, but i have a 3.8 GPA, which is several points above their average. Any thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply