Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Questions and thoughts from a PA considering AA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ventana View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ventana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions and thoughts from a PA considering AA
    Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 9:04am
Hello all   -  few questions

One:

I am a Physician Assistant and looking for a change - briefly this is my background (just have not found my niche)

PA since 2002 - worked in primary care 5yrs , interventional radiology 2 yrs (did a whole bunch of moderate sedation), chronic pain 1yr(opiate management), ER 1yr, and now back to primary care.

My PA degree is an AS but then I want back and got my MS through the distance program at Nebraska.  As well have a BS in Business and an MBA(both before PA school).  Have graduated with honors in MBA, PA and MS school (don't remember the grades but something like 3.9 and top 10%).  Have not taken GRE in years - can I waive out of it?

Do I have a good chance at gaining admission?  I want to work in Vermont (only one AA practices in the whole state!)

TWO: 
I have read there is only about 40 PA/AA's out there - it seems like I would be perfectly situated with this combination of degrees in that I can do anything out side the OR with the PA degree and almost anything inside the OR with the AA???  (I have already done sedation and intubations for work)

Three:
Financially is this worth it?  I make about 90k/yr now  - could I work a little bit as I go through school?  Per Diem rates in ER run around $55-75/ hour so a single 12 hour shifts gives me about $800 and I could use this to live on.    On this same thought - anybody getting loan repayment?  I would loose about 200k from income for the 2.5 yrs of school and then make about 50k more per year......

Would really appreciate peoples thoughts on this - obviously I am not a tradational student but have kept my mind busy and just have not found my niche.....

Edited by ventana - 29 Jan 2011 at 9:05am
10 yr PA looking at AA
 Post Reply Post Reply