Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Questions and thoughts from a PA considering AA

Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ventana View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ventana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions and thoughts from a PA considering AA
    Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 9:04am
Hello all   -  few questions
I am a Physician Assistant and looking for a change - briefly this is my background (just have not found my niche)
PA since 2002 - worked in primary care 5yrs , interventional radiology 2 yrs (did a whole bunch of moderate sedation), chronic pain 1yr(opiate management), ER 1yr, and now back to primary care.
My PA degree is an AS but then I want back and got my MS through the distance program at Nebraska.  As well have a BS in Business and an MBA(both before PA school).  Have graduated with honors in MBA, PA and MS school (don't remember the grades but something like 3.9 and top 10%).  Have not taken GRE in years - can I waive out of it?
Do I have a good chance at gaining admission?  I want to work in Vermont (only one AA practices in the whole state!)
I have read there is only about 40 PA/AA's out there - it seems like I would be perfectly situated with this combination of degrees in that I can do anything out side the OR with the PA degree and almost anything inside the OR with the AA???  (I have already done sedation and intubations for work)
Financially is this worth it?  I make about 90k/yr now  - could I work a little bit as I go through school?  Per Diem rates in ER run around $55-75/ hour so a single 12 hour shifts gives me about $800 and I could use this to live on.    On this same thought - anybody getting loan repayment?  I would loose about 200k from income for the 2.5 yrs of school and then make about 50k more per year......
Would really appreciate peoples thoughts on this - obviously I am not a tradational student but have kept my mind busy and just have not found my niche.....

Edited by ventana - 29 Jan 2011 at 9:05am
10 yr PA looking at AA
 Post Reply Post Reply