Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Emory University AA Prerequisites

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JCole View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emory University AA Prerequisites
    Posted: 21 Jan 2008 at 9:16am
From the Emory AA Program website:
Emory University AA Program Prerequisite Courses: Prerequisite courses are similar to those in a premed curriculum. Survey courses are not acceptable.

REQUIRED COURSES

Biochemistry 1 Semester
Biology 2 Semesters
Calculus 1 Semester
Chemistry 2 Semesters
English 1 Semester
Organic Chemistry 1 Semester
Physics 2 Semesters

Find links to all Anesthesiologist Assistant programs HERE!

Edited by JCole - 21 Jan 2008 at 9:18am
JCole View Drop Down

Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2008 at 9:24am
Also I found out the average cost of the Emory AA program:

Average indebtedness for 2006 graduates was $72,320. 

Great deal figuring that when you graduate from AA school you make around $120,000.00 plus a sign-on bonus of up to $40,000.00!!

Wink
khelms3 View Drop Down

Quote khelms3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2009 at 2:22am
Do you know if the 2 semesters in physics is Calc-based physics or do you think taking 2 semesters of normal physics would suffice? 
keregg228 View Drop Down

Quote keregg228 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 9:39am

normal is fine. i took one of calc and one of "normal" and got an interview feb.  if u have any questions just call the program, they are very helpful. i call like every other week with a list of questions. 

BS Human Biology and Physiology
RRT student
MPH student
DO and AA-C applicant leaning towards AA-c
Renee View Drop Down

Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 7:36pm
I see there were 219 completed applications to Emory's AA program in 2009 but only 41 were accepted... What does it take? Top grades?
Badger8636 View Drop Down

Quote Badger8636 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 1:21pm
Renee,

I think they are looking for a variety of things when accepting students.  I was just accepted into their program, as well as South University, and Nova.  I am a Senior student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison with ok grades (3.51 out of 4.0).  My MCAT was also mediocre (29).  I think what got me early interviews was the fact that I have a little bit of training in the anesthesia field working on animals.  I learned the basics of anesthesia (intubation, monitoring, arterial and vein access, etc.) and became familiar with what the job entails.  You don't need experience like this to be accepted to any of the programs, in fact I know another person who was accepted with a major in Architecture, with no medical background whatsoever.  They are looking for well rounded individuals who have a passion for anesthesia.  If you are truly interested in the field, you should be able to tell them this in your personal statement and give reasons why you are interested in Anesthesia and why you are a perfect fit for the job.  They can separate out very easily the people who just want a career change to make more money from the people who are actually going to enjoy this work.  I also had volunteer experience in the emergency department which I spoke about in my interview and how it made me realize that I want a job that requires a lot of patient contact.  My parents are also both in medicine so I know the drawbacks and benefits of a health care profession which they asked about in my interview. 

So, to recap, top grades are not the only thing that they look at when considering you for an interview.  Good grades are certainly a must, but you need more than that.  You need to be well rounded and be involved in things that clearly show that you are motivated in pursuing a career in the health care field (not necessarily Anesthesia).  This is what they stressed in our interviews at all three programs.
Lenith View Drop Down

Quote Lenith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 10:13pm
Badger8636,
I applied at Emory AA program and am anxiously waiting for the invitation.
What questions did the board ask you during the interview?
Thank you
Lenith
 Post Reply Post Reply