Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

LETS GIVE UTAH THE ANESTHESIA CARE TEAM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JCole View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LETS GIVE UTAH THE ANESTHESIA CARE TEAM
    Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 4:06pm
fjrigjwwe9r0tblThread:Message
Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah - LETS GIVE UTAH THE ANESTHESIA CARE TEAM.

Anesthesiologists + Anesthesiologist Assistants + Anesthesia Technicians = Super Anesthesia Team...with SAFETY in Numbers!

www.AnesthesiaCareTeam.com

FOLLOW THE UTAH HOUSE BILL 101 HERE: http://le.utah.gov/~2010/htmdoc/hbillht/HB0101.htm

VIEW PDF OF UTAH HOUSE BILL 101 HERE:
http://le.utah.gov/~2010/bills/hbillint/hb0101.pdf

Our plea from the Utah pre-AAs is this: If you know of anyone or have any family in Utah, ESPECIALLY IN RURAL UTAH, (but anywhere will also do) ask them to go to http://scottriding.com/utahlegislators/ to find their house representative and call them asking for their support for Anesthesiologist Assistants.

Utah for Safe Anesthesia is a coalition of Utah surgeons, physicians, and other healthcare professionals which supports legislative efforts to license anesthesiology assistants (AA’s) in Utah.

I am well informed about the proposed anesthesiology assistant (AA) legislation.  I am fervently in support to such legislation and stand in agreement with the Utah Medical Association's position.  I do so for various reasons, the most important of which being that I am a protector of my patients and am responsible for their care even while under anesthesia.  I have been involved in many operative cases that within a minute change drastically: an endotracheal tube can be displaced, a child can go into laryngospasm, and airway fire can occur, etc.  The idea that an anesthesiologist can supervise multiple AA's and be there at a second's notice is very common place for anesthesiologists as we have had this similar relationship with CRNA's for many years.  I wish only to protect my patients as they have no choice as to who will take care of them or their loved ones in the operating room.  They rely on the relationship they have with their surgeon. They expect the surgeon to do what is safest for them. That is why choosing to work in an anesthesia care team model is the safest of all for our patients.

I have a keen interest in the patients I refer for surgical and therefore anesthesia care. I believe that AA's are amoung the BEST providers of anesthesia along with anesthesiologists. I will even go as far as saying I would rather see one of my patients recieving anesthesia along side a team made up of an anesthesiologist and an anesthesiologist assistant. CRNA's are not MD's but work at times alone without an anesthesiologist present...dropping the bar so far for someone whose responsibility will be to protect the lives and comfort of my patients is unwise in the extreme.

I wish to express my strong support to any legislation which brings Anesthesiologist Assistants to Utah. I am a Board Certified Anesthesiologist and have been practicing for over 10 years years. I do not believe that the anxious patients I see would appreciate having a poorly trained CRNA who is licensed to work alone on them without the guidance of the person with the real experience and training who is down the hall or up the stairs. If the public knew about CRNA's and the legal ability to practice SOLO like an anesthesiologist, I believe they would stand up and say they preferred someone more trained for themselves and their loved ones. Patients would demand the more desired anesthesia care team that includes the anesthesiologist, anesthesiologist assistant and anesthesia technician. I strongly support anesthesiologist assistants in Utah because I believe it is necessary, safe, and in the best interest of the anxious and frightened patients that trust us to make their lives safer. CRNA's shouldn't work alone as MD's...that's why we need the anesthesia care team. I just makes sense. Safety first.

Anesthesiologist Assistant Resource Websites:

www.AnesthesiologistAssistant.com
www.AnesthesiaAssistant.com
www.AnesthesiaTechnician.com
www.AnesthesiaCareTeam.com

Edited by JCole - 26 Jan 2010 at 1:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply