Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Anesthesia Technician

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mdebo View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mdebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anesthesia Technician
    Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 4:07pm
fjrigjwwe9r0tblThread:Message
I recently finished my B.S. in Exercise Science and am currently working as an AT while I am trying to figure out my next move in terms of school, career, etc.  I have just recently learned of the AA profession. It sounds really great to me; I love my current job.  I have been doing a lot of research and I am curious as to how much my work experience as an AT would help me during the application process to an AA program. I appreciate any information at all. Thanks!
keregg228 View Drop Down

Quote keregg228 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 12:12pm

If you read http://www.anesthesiaassistant.com/ it says that it is ideal to become a AT first. If you look at the profile of people applying to these programs most have some sort of pre med major. A few have engineering degrees, and some are respiratory therapists. There is a forum on studentdoctor.org that will answer a lot of questions you have about schools. Emory has the most informative web site from a schools prospective. Also this website has a lot of information available.

Since so few of the applicants are currently AT's most schools don't really care but it is a bonus. Making sure you have a decent GPA, the preq courses and some healthcare experience seems to be the most important thing. Your degree in exercise science and job as a AT will definitely help. Make sure you look at each schools website because they have different forms and perquisites for each school. For example I did not apply to Case or South university bc I have not taken a stats class. Search this website, the website listed earlier and the student doctor forum (search for anaesthesiologists assistant and read the forum called for those applying to AA-c programs) for any questions you have. If you cannot find something out, try calling one of the schools.

BS Human Biology and Physiology
RRT student
MPH student
DO and AA-C applicant leaning towards AA-c
schwachd View Drop Down

Quote schwachd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 9:47am

I am currently taking the prerequisites for the NOVA AA program. I already have a bachelors in another field, but decided to switch to the medical profession. My question is, has anyone verified what the job market truly is for a recent AA graduate? Of course the individual schools say their graduates are in high demand and recieve multiple offers before graduation but it seems hard to find actual job opennings on the web. Has anyone verified this high demand for anesthesia care aside from what the programs are stating?

keregg228 View Drop Down

Quote keregg228 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 6:06pm

according to several forums and calling AA-c programs i have gathered this info.

average AA starting salary about 120k depending on who u talk to.  they range from 90k-150.  on average graduates are getting about 5 job offers b4 graduation.  most anesthesia groups hire aa-c's right out of school and dont use websites to hire.  this way they avoid getting singled out by CRNA advacacy  groups.  some MDA are sick of CRNA's thinking they can practise independently (which in some states they can) and are putting their money where their mouth is and are hiring AA-c's instead of CRNA's.  Other places AA-c's work right along side CRNA's. sometimes it is a friendly enviroment sometimes a bad one.  There are tons of jobs out there.  you can always look at postings for CRNA jobs and try to get hired that way, but this does not seem to be common for AA-c's (from what I have read).  if your are willing to relocate, and change jobs it seems that you can find a good situation.  AA-c's can never make as much as CRNA's that practise independently.  Some make as much as 400-600k (rare but i have read it in some CRNA forums) in private practises when they are the senior partners in it.  Average CRNA with several years of practice makes about 160-180 depending on who u think is correct.  I know the CRNAs i work with dont make this kind of money but you can.  CRNA's in rual areas can make the big pay checks over 200k.  Some AA-c's make about 200k by working 60-80 hours a week.  I suggest reading on the studentdoctor.net and other forums. any info u want or need can be found there. also http://members.boardhost.com/Anesthesia/index
u might also want to try to get some sort of healthcare experiance or job. EMT, ER tech, patient care tech , anesthesia tech etc. usually one 4-7 credit class. or volunteer.  I started a respiratory therapy program and volunteer for about 10 hours  a week in a PACU which has a anesthesia procedure room right next to it.  I also watch MDA and residents during that time. 
BS Human Biology and Physiology
RRT student
MPH student
DO and AA-C applicant leaning towards AA-c
ittybit2624 View Drop Down

Quote ittybit2624 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 7:47pm
how did you become an at.....
 Post Reply Post Reply