Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Anesthesia...The Good Stuff!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JCole View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anesthesia...The Good Stuff!
    Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 5:25pm
Anesthesia...The Good Stuff!

By Cyndi Jones

I walked into the operating suite and lay down on the table. The anesthesiologist was injecting something into my IV tube and I asked him what he was giving me. He replied, “The good stuff”. He said he had never tried it, but he had heard it was good. I explained that I had sampled it many times. Since the age of five, I have been put under general anesthesia more than ten times. The latest was an outpatient surgery. I am surprised that it is not a requirement for an anesthesiologist to try it out. How else can they explain to a patient how they are going to feel and what is going to happen?

Anesthetics are substances to deaden pain. Long ago, doctors used alcohol such as wine or brandy to perform surgeries. In fact, until about 150 years ago, patients were expected to just withstand the pain of the procedure. The phrase, “bite the bullet” came from surgeries that were performed on the battlefield before the days of anesthesia. The patient would bite on a bullet to distract him from the pain and keep him from screaming. We are certainly lucky that medicine has improved over the years.

The stuff really must have been good. I don’t remember a thing after that conversation until I was awakened in the recovery suite. Each time I have been put under anesthesia I vow that it will be my last time. It certainly is not pleasant to have any sort of operation, but I am glad to know that if I need to have a procedure, I will be given the good stuff.

Thank you Anesthesiologist Assistants!

Great Anesthesiologist Assistant Resource Websites:

www.AnesthesiaAssistant.com
www.AnesthesiologistAssistant.com
www.AnesthesiaCareTeam.com
 Post Reply Post Reply