Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Can AA's Just Work Weekends?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JCole View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can AA's Just Work Weekends?
    Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 4:43pm

I'm just curious. Is it possible (or likely) for an Anesthesiologist Assistant to be able to get a job working only on weekends (e.g., 12 hours on Saturday, 12 hours on Sunday, maybe one night during the week on-call)? Are there any hospitals or anesthesia groups that would go for this? Also, would this sort of position pay a "standard" salary?

-------------------

Depends upon who writes your check.

In Minneapolis the CRNAS work for the hospital. Therefore the MDAs feel that in the bigger hospitals one should be on call all the time. So where there is a case, the CRNA has the patient all ready to go and the MDA just has to walk in, push the syringe and collect his money. The CRNA gets paid out of the hospital share of the money, not the professional fee.

In Iowa the CRNAs work for the MDA group. There the MDAs do not feel a CRNA should be in the hospital all the time. Instead the MDA takes call from home. When there is a case he gets called in and does the case himself and bills. The CRNA gets paid out of the professional fees collected by the MDAs so they do not want a CRNA sitting around getting paid when nothing is going on.

So bottom line, with AAs it will also depend upon who they get paid by and where the money comes from. If the AAs work for the MDAs and get paid by them, unless a hospital has a really busy weekend schedule where there would be 2 or more rooms running at a time, I do not see where the MDAs would have AAs on call.

Follow the money and you will see the motivation of why people are on call or not. Which ever makes the most money for the next level up (MDA) is probably what they will do.

---------------------   

Thanks for your response. I've talked to several nurses (RNs, CRNAs) who work 12 hours/day for three days per week (usually Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday), so I was curious if it would be possible to make the same income working 12 hour days on Saturday and Sunday (since most CRNAs/AAs with wives, children, etc. would be adamant about having these days off). I would probably just work on these two days each week and take call during the day/night Monday.

Since I would be graduating from AA school and still be only 24 years old and (most likely) with no wife or kids, this would be an appealing schedule. I like the idea of having most of the week off and then just coming in for a few days during the weekend.

Great Anesthesiologist Assistant Resource Websites:

www.AnesthesiaAssistant.com
www.AnesthesiologistAssistant.com
www.AnesthesiaCareTeam.com
www.AnesthetistForum.com

Post Reply Post Reply