Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

AA's and CRNA's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Anesthesia Man View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anesthesia Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AA's and CRNA's
    Posted: 14 Sep 2007 at 9:38pm
What's the difference between AAs and CRNAsSmile
SafeSleeper View Drop Down

Quote SafeSleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 3:54pm

There is no difference between CRNA's and AA's in the OR! Their backgrounds are a little different but as far as how they practice...they are both part of the anesthesia care team!

kellyjaa View Drop Down

Quote kellyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 1:43pm
Both are part of the ACT, but in some states CRNAs can practice independently of an MDA as long as they are affiliated with any physician.  Also, CRNAs are not limited in practice by specific states.  AA-Cs are right now but are moving up quickly.
taipan View Drop Down

Quote taipan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 10:17pm
However it is my understanding that CRNAs get paid significantly more
many thanks
taipan
cdcd67 View Drop Down

Quote cdcd67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 3:13am
CRNA could work in all 50 states; they have to get recertified every 2 years (but don't take any exam) whereas for AA, you have to take a recertification exam every 6 years. I have heard from SDN forums that not all AA's pass and some can lose their certification.
peace41 View Drop Down

Quote peace41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 7:06am
I work in an ACT setting with 6 AAs, we all get paid the same from day1 with the same perks and working conditions.
JCole View Drop Down

Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 4:09pm
Fact:
CRNAs and AAs are capable of safely delivering anesthesia to their patients. It's been proven on both sides for many years.

Of course, there will always be exceptions. There are smart people and there are ignorant people on both sides. Why do we always have to group everyone together in these debates? Life isn't so black and white. There isn't one right answer and one wrong answer.

The number one topic that CRNAs seem to attach themselves to is that they need no help from the anesthesiologist. I guess this attitude has been ingrained into them (speaking of nurses in general) as being seen as the subordinates throughout their professional history. It's only been in the last few decades where they are attempting to change that perception. Hence, the ridiculous title "doctor nurse". In reality, with experience, most cases can be handled by CRNAs. However, don't you want a doctor around for those 5-10% that need a more in depth knowledge? It's just like they say, "Anesthesia is 95% boredom and 5% sheer terror". The bottom line should be to make sure that there is help around for that 5%. That's why the AA concept makes sense. With experience, they are just as capable as CRNAs in the OR. But most importantly, they are not opposed to working with doctors. Would you want a solo person watching over you or a team? I'd vote for the team.

There are so many more topics I could go into but what's the point? People will only see what they want to see. Go ahead... continue printing you biased exaggerations.
Mommom View Drop Down

Quote Mommom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 8:44am
Do AA's have to be certified in order to practice?  What if they graduated before certification was required?  Are they grandfathered in?
MM
AA dude View Drop Down

Quote AA dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2009 at 12:56am
I answered your question in the other thread you posted it.  The answers are yes and no.  Everyone takes the exam.
 Post Reply Post Reply