Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Do AAs have to recertify?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JCole View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do AAs have to recertify?
    Posted: 14 Nov 2007 at 10:12am
fjrigjwwe9r0tblThread:Message
From the ASA website:

In order to maintain certification after passing the initial examination, AAs must submit documentation to NCCAA that they have completed 40 hours of continuing medical education (CME) every two years. In addition, every six years they must pass the Examination for Continued Demonstration of Qualifications (CDQ). Failure to meet any of the above CME or examination requirements results in withdrawal of certification for the AA. The CDQ Examination was first administered in 1998.
Mommom View Drop Down

Quote Mommom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 8:48am
Do AA's have to be certified in order to practice?  What if they graduated prior to the certification exam being administered?
MM
AA dude View Drop Down

Quote AA dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2009 at 12:54am
Yes, they do. Nobody graduated before the exam.  It's always been there AFAIK.
Mommom View Drop Down

Quote Mommom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2009 at 5:29pm

I asked the same question of your National Board.  Their answer below:

National Commission for Certification of Anesthesiologist Assistants

PO Box 15519, Atlanta, GA  30333-0519
www.aa-nccaa.org

05-30-2009

I would point out that NCCAA’s Certifying Examination has been available annually since 1992 for anesthesiologist assistants in practice in any state or Washington, DC.

The question of legally practicing in the State of Georgia should be answered by Georgia’s Composite State Board of Medical Examiners.

The question of liability for an uncertified practitioner should be answered by your practice group and/or hospital’s insurance carrier.

The stickiest issue of which we have been aware has been one of payment for services, since some payors see billing for non-credentialed persons as fraud, so you should contact the companies which you bill concerning this matter.

Best regards,

James R. Hall, MD
Secretary-Treasurer

I have since found that each AA takes a board upon completion of education and prior to being licensed.  I just need to know about the National Certifying exam.  How important is it?

MM
Mommom View Drop Down

Quote Mommom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2009 at 5:30pm
I know that there have been AA's in Georgia at LEAST since the early 70's, so they were there prior to the National Exam.  Anyone know the answer?
MM
 Post Reply Post Reply