Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Are CRNA's Trained To Work Independently?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ASA Follower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ASA Follower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are CRNA's Trained To Work Independently?
    Posted: 31 Aug 2009 at 3:09pm
fjrigjwwe9r0tblThread:Message
"CRNAs are trained to work independently." The CRNA said!

Name ONE school of Nurse Anesthesia in which there are NO Anesthesiologists involved in the training.  A place where all you have is CRNAs with not one MDA in the department.

CRNAs are always training in a MDA/NA team setting. The CRNA instructor may be "supervising" the student NA, but the MDA is supervising the CRNA instructor.

Just how are CRNAs trained to work independently when none of their training is done in that kind of setting? What happens is a CRNA gets trained to work as part of the team and then due to the practice law they go off and work independently somewhere.

MY training did not include any kind of regional anesthesia except Bier Blocks. All of the regional training that I got in my anesthesia program was how to monitor a regional anesthetic after a MDA stuck it in. Just how is that different than how the Anesthesiologist Assistants are trained? All the regional training I got, I got FOUR YEARS after I left school, when I joined the Air Force. And guess what, it was an Air Force Anesthesiologist who trained me on how to do it.

Name ONE anesthesia school where there are no MDAs around supervising...name one anesthesia school where the NA students actually practice independently prior to graduation...or even under ONLY the supervision of the CRNA instructor.

CRNAs are not trained how to work independently. They are allowed to do so because of their licensure laws, not because of any training how to do it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read about how CRNA's will soon be required to become DNAP's below:

DNAP.com = Doctorate Of Nurse Anesthesia Practice

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anesthesiologist Assistant Resource Websites:

www.AnesthesiologistAssistant.com
www.AnesthesiaAssistant.com
www.AnesthesiaTechnician.com
www.AnesthesiaCareTeam.com
www.AnesthesiaDirectory.com
www.AnesthetistForum.com

Edited by ASA Follower - 31 Aug 2009 at 3:13pm
ASA Follower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ASA Follower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2009 at 3:29pm
fjrigjwwe9r0tblThread:Message
So how EXACTLY are CRNAs trained to work independently? What is the difference in anesthesia training between a CRNA and an AA? what is it in the curriculum that differentiates a CRNA from an AA?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not say SOLO CRNAs were dangerous. I said they had NO TRAINING to practice independently. They are trained in the same kind of practice setting as AAs.  CRNA sitting on a chair and a MDA supervising. There is not one school of nurse anesthesia that does not have MDAs supervising.

And a CRNA after he graduates can either continue to work in the same kind of practice setting OR they can, because of the practice law, go out and work alone. And we HOPE they know what they are doing. Most do.

But my point again is that CRNAs are not trained to work independently. They have no practice time as a student working independently, the MDAs are always there.

And by the same extrapolation, an AA taught in the same kind of MDA supervised program, learning as a supervised AA, could probably work independently just as well as a CRNA. But since the AA practice laws are not set up for them to work independently, we might never see that happening.

(You do know that when CRNAs first started, the MDAs tried to say WE needed to be supervised all the time also. They said WE were unsafe working independently. etc)

Some CRNA's are throwing the same arguments used by the MDAs against CRNAs in the past at the AAs today. History is repeating itself and I find that funny.

Some CRNA's claims that Anesthesiologist Assistants are not as qualified is based only upon the "Work independently" issue. Give it enough time and I think AAs may someday work independently also. Of course to do that, they would have to change their title. How about they simply call themselves "Anesthetists."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read about how CRNA's will soon be required to become DNAP's below:

DNAP.com = Doctorate Of Nurse Anesthesia Practice

Anesthesiologist Assistant Resource Websites:

www.AnesthesiologistAssistant.com
www.AnesthesiaAssistant.com
www.AnesthesiaTechnician.com
www.AnesthesiaCareTeam.com
www.AnesthesiaDirectory.com
www.AnesthetistForum.com

Post Reply Post Reply