Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

AA and CRNA Seeing Eye To Eye!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JCole View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AA and CRNA Seeing Eye To Eye!
    Posted: 22 Aug 2009 at 10:21pm
AA and CRNA Seeing Eye To Eye!

Hello AA's/CRNA's,

I am a 2nd year Nurse Anesthesia Student. I just wanted to say I have read some of the postings about the indifference's that have come about between AA's and CRNA's. I know many CRNA's are worried about the Anesthesiologist Assistant programs, and the competition they present for providing anesthesia. But I have a different view in which we can and should accept our indifference's and work together as a cohesive Anesthesia Care Team. I have not personally had any experience working with AA's, but I know there is a program here in Kansas City for AA's and the time will come when we will work together. I feel we should stop worrying about how much money I will or will not make, and focus on getting everyone on the same page about trying to strive to be the best Anesthesia provider for the patients we will all care for. I wish all the best in luck with school and career's, and hope we can all get along some day.
--------------------------
To CRNA:
What an awesome post! I feel the same way. I don't want to work in a hostile environment, esp. when providing ANESTHESIA to patients! In what state are you in school? I hope your ideals will be common to our generation of ANESTHESIA Care Providers!
To AA:
Thanks for your comment!! I am in school at the University of Kansas, which is one of the states that does not allow AA's to work in....don't see why not.  KU MED is right on the state line border with Missouri (a state that does allow AA's to work) and our MD staff has recently been asked to allow AA's to train with the residents at the hospital. There has been a lot of tension from this request, because the CRNA's/SRNA's feel this will take away from their clinical experiences. In fact it won't because they will be working with the Resident anesthesiologists and taking the cases that they already have. I feel the whole AA/CRNA animosity is all based on stupid political BS that came about from both the MD and Nursing sides wanting to gain more control. In the end it boils down to a supply and demand for Anesthesia providers. There are currently not enough anesthesia providers to deliver anesthesia to all the new hospitals and outpatient surgery centers and we need to do what's best for the patients, not for our wallets. Good luck everyone with your school/careers. I've got boards coming up in about 7 months...
-----------------------------
TO CRNA:
I am hoping to get the spot at KU during my second year at the UMKC AA program, which would be in 2010. One of the nurses I work with currently has a daughter in the KU CRNA program and she also seemed comfortable with having an AA at the hospital, although she did raise the same concern about competing for clinical cases. I know the SRNA's have to travel to Dodge City to get experience with epidurals, so I can see where the concern comes from.

If you are still there in 2010, hopefully we will run into each other!

Anesthesiologist Assistant Resource Websites:

www.AnesthesiologistAssistant.com
www.AnesthesiaAssistant.com

Edited by JCole - 06 Sep 2009 at 11:29am
 Post Reply Post Reply