Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Uncertainty in the Anesthesia Field...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JCole View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uncertainty in the Anesthesia Field...
    Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 9:32am
fjrigjwwe9r0tblThread:Message
Uncertainty in the Anesthesia Field...

Posted by Mr. Curious  on July 21, 2009, 7:45 pm

I am a current AA student and I kind of feel like there is so much uncertainty right now concerning the anesthesia field in general. I have read so many opposing things concerning the future of the field of anesthesia - I don't know what to believe.
I would greatly appreciate some unbiased or at least reasonable insight into the following topics:

1. CRNA's to DNAP's: Are CRNA's trying to take over the anesthesia field and push out MD's and AA's? Will this ever happen?

2. Healthcare Reform: If we switch to a universal healthcare system, how will that affect AA's? How will salaries be affected? I would hate to graduate with over $100k of debt and make reduced income!

3. Are any new states planning to open to Anesthesiologist Assistant's?

----------------------

1. CRNA's to DNAP's - they will not overthrow or get rid of MDA's, that's not going to happen.

2. This is it... AA's will be affected just like all other jobs in health care will be affected if this health reform goes through. Think an increasingly HUGE demand, and only making like 50% of what you would be making. As it stands (I've been keeping a very close eye on this topic), the reform is losing ground, and it looks like a 60-70% chance it's not going to happen as is. I agree, I'd graduate with over 100k in debt, and not make enough to pay it back.

3. Last I heard, Oklahoma was opening up. I'm not sure if any new states are joining anytime soon.

---------------------------

I'm all for some sort of healthcare reform, but I don't think slashing salaries is the answer. If that happens you're not longer going to get the best and the brightest going into this profession.

----------------------------

Exactly my point. Please don't misinterpret my opposition to this plan as an opposition to reform in general, or being content with the current status. I agree, for patient's, health care is too expensive. But this bill, universal care, is NOT the answer.

In it, will be an increase in demand on the system, and a decrease in budget and resources. They'll make cuts in the system, one of which will be inevitably and inexorably, salary of every health care provider out there.

As individuals involved in the field of health care itself, we should be for reform, looking out not only for the well being of our patients, but the fiscal well being of all as well. There is an answer out there, this bill isn't it.

At least that's my two cents on it, take it for what it's worth. And you are correct, with that system, it will deter the deserving, the bright and the willing from entering the health care field.

Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice Website - DNAP.com

-----------------------------------------

Aneshtesiologist Assistant Resource Websites:
www.AnesthesiaAssistant.com
www.AnesthesiologistAssistant.com
 Post Reply Post Reply