Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Does Case except the MCATs or the GRE?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SafeSleeper View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SafeSleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Case except the MCATs or the GRE?
    Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 9:48am
Does anyone know if Case excepts the MCAT or GRE??
pharper1980 View Drop Down

Quote pharper1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 12:52pm
Here is a little post going on over at StudentDoctor.net:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450352

Lots of good information there... should answer your questions.
SafeSleeper View Drop Down

Quote SafeSleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 4:35pm
Is this the thread you were talking about? Thanks for the info!

After some more searching, I was lucky enough to stumble across an AA-related message board. Although it's not nearly as nice as SDN, it still provides a good amount of the information I was looking for. Here is the link:

http://members.boardhost.com/Anesthesia/index.html

I really hope an AA will still answer those questions, though--a fresh perspective is always appreciated. Here are some answers I have found:

Quote:
2. Do AAs take out malpractice insurance?
Largely, it depends. If you work for a private practice doc, then you probably have to pay (unknown how much), but if you're employed by a hospital they'll most likely pay for you.

Quote:
3. What is a typical day/week like (i.e., hours, number of cases, on-call hours, etc.)?
Some on-call hours, but not too often. The average AA works about 40 hours a week (plus or minus five hours).

Quote:
4. Now that you have been practicing, would you still take the AA road or would you do something different?
Every AA on that site seems to be extremely satisfied with their role in their care teams and with the profession as a whole.

Quote:
5. Not specifically yours, but what did some of your graduating classmates' job offers look like, and, similarly, do you feel there is a good deal of job security associated with being an AA?
Not counting independently practicing CRNAs (who seemingly have no cap on their earning potential), most AAs employed in similar conditions to CRNA counterparts get paid the same and perform the same tasks--this is anywhere between $110,00-$150,000 (this seems to be within 25% to 75%). Mind you this is averaging 40 hours per week. I have read of weekend moonlighting jobs that may provide up to $1,200 for 24 hour shifts, or $800 for eight hours of work plus $100 for every extra hour. The cap seems to lie in the low $200,000 for maximum earning potential (and probably 70-80 hours per week, too).

Quote:
6. Do you do a lot of moonlighting or are you employed by one group/hospital?
See above.

Quote:
7. Did you shadow an anesthesiologist before applying to AA programs? If so, then how'd you go about doing so?
Regardless, this is definitely the wise thing to do. Common sense should tell you that much.

Quote:
8. What were some of the deciding factors which made being an AA more desirable to you than being a doctor, or any other profession?
Length of education (when compared to both the CRNA and the DO/MD route) appears to be the main factor. Of course, those with their BSN can become CRNAs more readily than those without the degree, but there are accelerated one-year BSN programs for individuals who already hold their B.S./B.A. But then you must consider the added time for a minimum of one year of acute care after you earn your BSN before you can apply to CRNA programs.

Quote:
9. Are there any AA-geared forums or Web sites where I can read more about the profession?
See above.

Finally, If anyone else finds some good info, please add to the thread. Also, be aware that there seems to be little entrepreneurial opportunities in this field because of the fact that AAs must always work with an anesthesiologist.

pharper1980 View Drop Down

Quote pharper1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 10:07pm
That is one of the ones, I was originally posting it for your question on MCAT vs. GRE.  There is a post that has all of the pre-reqs for each school posted a little further down.

According to that post Case requires the MCAT.

Hope this helps!  Good luck!

-pharper1980
 Post Reply Post Reply